Monday, May 16, 2011

3000 kms drive through Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh




The route

Finally I decided to take up the Sanchi circuit. Mumbai – Ellora – Maheshwar – Sanchi – Pacharhi – Pench – Akola – Manmad – Mumbai.


When I thought of a long drive I had two routes in mind. Firstly, Sanchi as destination, second Coorg as the farthest point. Both had comparable distance of just over 1000 kms; as a circuit, connecting few other points will amount to around 3000 kms. The decision was a matter of ‘now or later’ between two routes. I selected the first route covering Maharshtra and Madhya Pradesh for my May 2011 odyssey.


I consulted my travel agent to draw a driving iternary to Sanchi covering important archeological sites and wild life sanctuaries within about 14 days. I was suggested a route covering Ellora – Maheshwar – Sanchi –Jabalpur- Kanha – Akola- Mumbai. It looked too shallow. I thought of including Kahajuraho and /or Bharhut. Just one change increased the route to over 3500kms. I worked again on the route points of interest vis- a-vis, personal limitations.


I had done 2000 kms drive earlier, comfortably. Being on the farther side of fifties, this time I wanted to grant some comfort during the drive. I wanted a two-day break in between the entire journey where I can rest and provide proper care to my car.


I included two days at Pachmarhi. This sounded more appropriate for drive during summer months.


My travel agent did the hotel bookings and roughly suggested the distances and road conditions. Being summer I insisted on air-conditioned accommodation, hotels away from city on a budget of Rs 2000 perday.

Estimated distances

Mumbai - Aurangabad 349 kms

Jalgaon - Maheshwar 339 kms

Maheshwar - Bhopal 288 kms

Bhopal - Pachmarhi 225 kms

Pachmarhi - Pench 272 kms

Pench to Akola 338 kms

Akola to Manmad 358 kms

Manmad to Mumbai 236 kms

Local drive 600 kms 3000 kms

The drive iternary included Ellora Caves – Pitalkhora, Temples of Maheshwar, Navdatoli - Bagh caves, Sanchi - Udaygiri caves Vidisha, Pachmarhi, Pench and Ankai Caves. It was expected to be a 3000 kms drive, including local drive between points of interest.


I ensured that on any day the total driving time did not exceed six hours, considering distance and driving conditions. I plan to cover this distance between 1st and 16th May 2011.

Preparation

In the process of preparation I had three objectives in mind; in the same order of perference, safety, convinence and comfort.


I started studying the route suggested by google maps and my MapmyIndia GPS navigator. I took the print outs of maps. For navigation, I have google maps on mobile, mapmyIndia navigator, printed maps for each section of drive and state maps. Such a back up is more of a habit than necessitiy.


As a ground rule I prefer sticking to National highways and use select State highways recommended with local wisdom. It may add few kilometers extra to my route but give me and my car some extra comfort and safety.


I drive Maruti Swift Vxi with ABS and K series engine; with premium petrol I get speeds of 80 kms per hr at around 2000 engine rpm. With that kind of vehicle i draw 13.4 kms per lt on city roads.


Vehicle condition being excellent, there is little concern on fitness of machine. I have now to concentarte on the road conditions, my conditions and issues of safety on remote roads.


The gadgets on car icluded an inverter (160 watts /240 v AC), laptop connected to car audiosystem, tons of music and chosen films in three languages, dedicated GPS navigator, dedicated digital barometer for weather forecast / altitude / temp, emergency lamp, binoculars, and a pepper spray can for self defense, independent cell phone with google lattitude indicating my location to my childern at Mumbai and Switzerland, state maps, detailed segment maps - hard copies, soft copies on laptop.


Contingency and route logistics included car maitenance/repair kit, medical kit , relavant emrgency rations on board, detailed information on vehicle service stations, insurance listed garages, specific mediclaim hospitals, on route. Phone numbers and refernces of few local citizens on way.


Th car check-up, maintenence and toning up was done ten days prior to the jouney. Me and my car waited eagerly for the start of the jouney.

4 comments:

harshad said...

Sir.. ur preparations were like u were going for a war like that... but nice... ur preparations are indications of ur neatness... i loved d way u described d itinery of ur trip.... now waiting for ur pics...

Prof. Ranga Sai said...

Thanks for the complements. I will present the travelogue with photographs in seven parts

Amit said...

Glued to this space! :)

Prof. Ranga Sai said...

Thanks ! I feel honored .